What Should I Do with my Life after Peace Corps?

29 June 2005

Greatest American Theme Song?

Tom Kain proposed that I discuss what makes a good song. Tom, I'm still thinking about what I qualify as a good song and why. I'll try and have a worthwhile discussion of that by the end of the week.

In the meantime, here's a song that I think we can all agree on. It's the theme song from an obscure 80's television series called "The Greatest American Hero". The theme song was more memorable than the show (as proof, I've never seen an episode, but I know the song. That's proof.) and the lyrics are as follows:

"Look at what's happened to me,
I can't believe it myself.
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world,
It should've been somebody else.

Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me.

It's like a light of a new day-,
It came from out of the blue.
Breaking me out of the spell I was in,
Making all of my wishes come true-.

Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me."

And if my recollection isn't proof enough of the song's greatness... Seinfeld, the greatest of all shows, made fun of it. In the episode 'The Suzie" we get to hear George's answering machine message. It went like this: "Believe it or not, George, isn't at home, please leave a mes-saaage at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the pho-one. Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not hooome." Here's George's version for you who might be interested.

So there you have it, The Greatest Theme Song about the Greatest American Hero, which was subsequently spoofed by the Greatest of all Shows...

Until next time, I'm on leave like maternity.

2 comments:

Case-Face said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tmkain said...

that episode of seinfeld is great. like all of the episodes.

looking forward to seeing this blog's author at my house tomorrow. perhaps we can think of more things to put on this blog or possibly ways to entice more readers.