What Should I Do with my Life after Peace Corps?

25 July 2005

Crazy Fucked Up World.

I'm scared...
Really.

I'm pretty sure we should all be shitting our fucking britches right now.

Why?

Oh, I don't know... maybe due to the fact that a man was killed in the London Subway a few days ago.
I doubt this is huge news to anyone by now. But that doesn't really dampen the severity of what I'm talking about.

The man was killed by police officers (London police currently have "shoot and kill" orders). He was shot 5 times in the head. At point blank range. This fact alone scared me.

Then I read in the news yesterday that the guy was innocent. He was a electrician from Brazil. Not a bomber. He was wearing a baseball cap which, along with his swarthier complexion, made him look suspicious. He was trailed from his apartment all the way to the subway, where he was then chased and shot. 5 times. In the head. At point blank range.

Mistakes happen, yes. And I'm not denying that London has reason to be a little high strung at the moment. But if London can just shoot a man because he looks suspicious due to his baseball cap and darker skin, what's that say for the possibilities in the United States of trigger-happy America? Or the rest of the world? True, I'm not exactly the stereotypical suspect, but that doesn't really exempt me from being scared. I'm not scared of the terrorists. I'm scared of the people in charge of "hunting and killing" the terrorists.

I feel bad for the family of the electrician. I also feel bad for the police officers who shot and killed the wrong man.
I just hope that maybe people will realize that "shoot first, ask questions later" isn't really the best M.O.

Sorry for the tirade. It's just bothering me.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Damn, you covered a rant I was going to do. Always one step ahead of me Peterson. I think I might need to chop off one of your legs. Ok, back to drawing on Bebo.

Case-Face said...

Sorry Joe.

Next time I'll run my rants by you before I post.

But, if you'll notice, this blog isn't too prone to rant.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I saw this truck with a fake hunting permit that said, "terrorist hunting permit" and something pertaining to freedom.

If only people thought first and acted second... I wouldn't have to consider egging so many cars. In short, I’m in total agreement with you Casey. A Scary World…

Dan