What Should I Do with my Life after Peace Corps?

13 December 2005

Чісбургер in paradise?

I purposefully omitted something from my last blog post: the logistical reasons behind my site change.

On Friday night I was menaced by a man with a shiv. Then I was sized up and intimidated by the local mafia who, it should be mentioned, are not on the best of terms with my host mother. So, Peace Corps extracted me. I've spent the past few days in Kyiv. And I'll be relocated to a new site (I don't know where yet).

So it's been quite the weekend for me.

I'm ok now. I wasn't hurt, just really unnerved. Really, please don't worry about me(well, go ahead and worry, but know that I'm more likely to overdose on borshch than have this happen again. Peace Corps took care of things so quickly and I felt very well cared for).

On a totally lighter note, here are the lyrics for two of my favorite Ukrainian songs. The first song is a sweet ballad on acoustic guitar, sung by Океан Эльзы [Elsie's Ocean] Ukraine's number one rock-group. And the second is a folk song that everyone here knows. I'm too lazy to translate them, but the first one is about a guy who is singing about better days. The second is about a man who has been bewitched by a magical/beautiful woman.

==Квiтка==
Холодна, голодна, й невчасна
То світла, то темна, й неясна
До крові, до болі й до ночі
Я знаю, я буду, я хочу, я хочу

Приспів:
Шукай в телефоні мій слід
Цілуй в вікно мої губи
Як знак на моєму плечі
Ти квітка, ти квітка
Шукай в телефоні мій слід
Цілуй в вікно мої губи
Так швидко в моєму житті
Так швидко...
Ти квітка

З тобою по колу прощали
По колу з тобою літали
Без болі без права надії
Так швидко, так сильно, й так мало, ой як мало



==ЧЕРВОНА РУТА==
Ти признайся мені,
Звідки в тебе ті чари,—
Я без тебе всі дні
У полоні печалі.
Може, десь у лісах
Ти чар-зілля шукала,
Сонце-руту знайшла
І мене зчарувала!

Приспів:
Червону руту не шукай вечорами —
Ти у мене єдина, тільки ти, повір.
Бо твоя врода то є чистая вода,
То є бистрая вода синіх гір.

Бачу я тебе в снах,
у дібровах зелених,
По забутих стежках
Ти приходиш до мене.
І не треба нести
Мені квітку надії,
Бо давно уже ти
Увійшла в мої мрії.

If you really want to know what they mean, put your mind to it. But remember, this is Ukrainian, not Russian. Good luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey - I can't believe no one's posted about this yet??!!
Your dad forwarded your e-mail about the drama that played out that night. At the time, I was in school reading it and not sure if it was cold in the room or the fact that your writing is just that good... it left me shaking and I felt I could picture the whole event. All I have to say is HOLY SHIT!
I'm glad you are ok and wish we could see you and give you a hug. It's sad that you will be away from those students and host family, but I guess everything happens for a reason. And so we'll find out what is to happen in your new town.
Once again, I am thankful you are ok.
Keep posting... sending much love... Beth and Will (though he didn't hear me say the HOLY @*%! part... but he might concur since he is potty training)
: )